I write today because as I was sitting with Elliot yesterday I was overcome with how much my life has changed since I have become a mother, and how much I love it! I am a mother. Full-time, all day, every day. That is what I do. I would not trade that for anything. Not for a career, not for more free time, not for less responsibility. I wouldn't trade my opportunity to be a mother to get another degree, or for Trevor to finish school. Not for time to travel, not to be able to solidify finances or be 'established' first. There are so many things that one must 'sacrifice' to have a child. Not one of them, or all of them combined, could be worth the incredible miracle of motherhood.
When Trevor and I decided to have a baby, we did not realize how much it would change our lives. We knew that it was the right thing to do, and that it was what God wanted for us. Now, looking back at it, I have to say that I am amazed at the things people feel they are 'giving up' when they decide to become parents. Society can sometimes put a negative light on motherhood, or moms who choose to stay home with their kids. Like anything, the decision to become a parent means that there are things that you will need to sacrifice. Just like the decision to go to school means you have to sacrifice the time and money to pay for it, or the decision to follow a religion means you must be willing to have faith in what is taught, and follow those teachings. Every decision we make means that we have to give up something. Being parents is a huge responsibility, but then again, so is anything that you do that is worth while... a career, marriage, school... but it is definitely worth it! Elliot is a great blessing, and he brings so much joy into our lives.
I am lucky to be twice as blessed though because I also have such a loving husband who is such a good father! Trevor is amazing, and I love watching him with Elliot. I could just sit and watch them play together all day. Trevor does so much for our family and I am grateful for his support to allow me to be home. Parenthood is incredible! I wouldn't trade my life for anything!!
First, you and Trevor got us excited to be married and make a home together. Now, you get us ridiculously excited to be parents. You're awesome.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Kayla