The Wylies

The Wylies

Monday, July 16, 2012

The week my foot got 'stabbed'... twice

This post is going to be slightly different than my previous posts, but I'm going to go ahead and tell the story anyway.. 

This story starts about a week ago.  I was going from the living room to the kitchen, and as I put my foot down to continue my journey I felt a sharp pain in my heel.  I quickly picked my foot up, and reached for what I assumed was going to be one of those poky weeds that someone tracked inside.  Instead, I pulled out a 'jewel' that has pried loose from one of my little sisters jeans and landed in the perfect position to send its barbs right up into my foot.  I was a little perturbed by the event, but life goes on.

A few days pass, without anyone having any unwanted items stuck into their feet, and I begin to relax.  No more scanning the floor to see if anything appears to be awry.  Then, after I had been lulled into a false security, I turned to get up from playing with Elliot and felt a sharp pain in my big toe!  This time I knew what the culprit was and I was getting ready to ban (or hide) the jeans that continued to cause me such pain.  But first, I had to remove the sharp stabbing pain in my foot.  I reached down to grab it and much to my surprise, I didn't feel a barbed 'jewel' at all, but I pulled a straight pin out of my toe!  It had stabbed into the side of my toe about 1/3 of an inch or so, and it hurt!  This event made me slightly more upset, and as I held it to stop the bleeding I looked for someone to blame for this pain I was in.  Unlike the jewel, however, I did not know who had left the pin dangerously in the carpet.

With no one to blame, my frustration subsided and I figured that experiences are no good unless you learn from them, so here is what I learned from these 2 encounters:
1.  Barbed jewels hurt less when stabbed into my foot than a straight pin.
2.  I broke my toe when I was 14. Consequently I had to have multiple shots in my big toe to numb it before they set it. I learned that I don't like my toe getting stabbed now any more than I did then. 
3.  Just because I have grown complacent, that doesn't mean that the danger has passed. This has many life applications.
4.  I think like a mother.  In the end, I found myself being immensely grateful that I had found both of those items before Elliot either hurt himself crawling around, or tried to eat them!  It's funny the things you end up being grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment